1. Get an image of your main character before you start to write your story.
2. Pick a name that fits your character.
3. Keep a chart of character names.
4. Decide who is in your main character’s family and how they impact the main character and the story.
5. Add more details to your character outline.
Learn the details of these steps by downloading the free PDF, Five Essential Points on Character Development
Learn more about character development from these excellent resources:
Building Believable Characters by Marc McCutcheon
Writing Fiction for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson and Peter Economy
10 Ways to Develop Characters by Connie Dunn
The Dramatic Writer’s Companion by Will Dunne
The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass